Introducing Covenant capaCITY
The 3-year project, ”Capacity building of local governments to advance Local Climate and Energy Action – from planning to action to monitoring” (Covenant capaCITY), started in June 2011 and runs until May 2014.
Covenant capaCITY takes up the urgent challenge to develop more sustainable energy communities (SEC) across Europe. This is done by offering a comprehensive European capacity building programme for local governments to support all the phases of implementing a Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP) – from motivation, planning, implementation, to monitoring and evaluating. It empowers and supports municipalities to sign up to the Covenant of Mayors – helping to bring together committed cities and towns, and their supporters.
Who can get training?
Free training is offered in the project lifetime to specific actors. On registration your application is approved, if you qualify:
- Local governments in Europe:
- local decision-makers (mayors, vice mayors, councilors, opposition leaders)
- municipal staff (senior, mid-level and junior staff dealing with energy, including departments: transport, water, waste, urban planning, communication, Local Agenda 21, etc.)
- Potential trainers – through the capaCITY trainer programme:
- local government associations & networks
- energy agencies working with municipalities
The training programme
The programme deals with developing a new SEAP (“1st generation” SEAP) and provides ideas when reviewing existing SEAPs (“2nd generation” SEAP). It gives basic guidance, offers ideas, hints, tips and tools - dealing with people, structures, processes.
a) The structure is comprised of:
- 8 inter-connected topics (dealt with as modules): greenhouse gas inventories, SEAP development, stakeholder involvement, procurement, plus 4 sectors: buildings, transport, waste, water.
- Per topic there are two thematic modules – one for start-up level and another for more advanced communities. Each topic is structured as follows:
- Brief introduction (“the basics” - what, why and important information
- Key issues
- Recommended steps
- Processes (dealing with people, policy, and finances)
- Guidance (project tools, policy context, tips and tools)
b) Multi-country focus:
- The programme offered is practical and multi-lingual, using a sound learning approach for professionals. Initially a generic European version (in English) will be offered - relevant to local governments across Europe.
- This will be followed by 12 country versions to address country-specific aspects in the national language for:
- United Kingdom (UK)
c) Award system
- As the main target groups are busy professionals, with limited time, the programme has been structured in simple sections (each would roughly take 10-15 minutes to work through).
- After each section the user can collect a point, collecting points throughout the programme – with a certificate offered to those who complete the training.
- And perhaps also a reward …
An experienced consortium of 19 partners from 15 countries is ready to help you with this programme! Join us, learn, share, and have fun with us!
The Covenant capaCITY project is co-funded by the Intelligent Energy Europe (IEE) programme. Without this support the project would not have been realised.